Short Film Otago
Short Film Otago supports screen-drama in Otago. We encourage writers to develop short film scripts. The best scripts submitted are guided through a rigorous script editing process.
Two or three are selected each year for production with the Short Film Otago executive producer team overseeing the process (click here for more details).
What we seek
The kind of short films we seek should:
- Have a strong story – an effective ending is probably the most important factor
- Be visually powerful or interesting
- Be compelling in originality, character and setting
- Be stories of today although we won’t rule out an interesting futuristic or historical treatment
- Be tragedy or comedy or horror or just simply dramatic
- Normally have a maximum length of 10 to 15 minutes
- Be fiction rather than documentary
- Appeal to a significant audience
- Above all something must happen.
In the first instance (unless you already have a script written) we want to see just a one or two page outline of your short film and do not require a budget. It must however be a film achievable on a modest budget. Strong in its ideas and simple in production.
We are keen to see projects from writers, directors, and teams of a writer and a director or writer and producer. It would be possible for a producer to recognise a compelling short story and submit that.
The film will have to be shot in Otago but it doesn’t have to be about Otago necessarily. Either the writer or the director should be normally resident in the province or have strong family connections with Otago.
We are very grateful to the Otago Community Trust who are our principal funder.